"Rewa Solar Power Project": Asia's Largest Solar Power Project
‘The Rewa solar power project’, located in Rewa, Madhya Pradesh, was inaugurated by the Prime Minister of India ‘Shri Narendra Modi’ via video conferencing. PM Modi has dedicated this 750 megawatt ultra-mega solar park to the nation. PM Modi said, Solar energy is “Sure, Pure and Secure” and it is the medium of energy for 21st century.
Rewa solar park has been developed by Rewa ultra Mega Solar Limited (RUMSL). This project has received 138 crore financial assistance from the central government.
About the Rewa Solar Power Project
- ‘The Rewa Solar power project’ has been developed by Rewa Ultra Mega Solar Limited (RUMSL), a joint venture of Madhya Pradesh Urja Vikash Nigam Limited (MPVNL) and Solar Energy Corporation of India (SECI).
- The capacity of this solar power project is 750 megawatt. It will have three units of 250 megawatt each.
- It is one of the largest single-site solar power plants in India and Asia. It is developed on an area of 1590 hectare land.
How this power project is different from the rest?
- It is one of the largest single-site solar power plants in India.
- It is expected to reduce carbon emission equivalent to around 15 lakh tons of CO2 per year.
- It exemplifies the commitment of the nation to achieve 175GW target of installed renewable energy generation, under the mission National Solar Mission by 2022.
- Rewa solar power project has achieved the first year tariff of Rs. 2.97 per unit and tariff escalation of Rs. 0.05 per unit over the period 15 years and a levelized rate of Rs. 3.30 per unit over a period of 25 years.
- It is India’s such solar project to break the grid parity barrier.
- It is also the first renewable energy project to supply energy to Institutional customer outside the state.
- From the project, the Delhi metro will get 24% of energy, while the remaining 76% of energy being supplied to the state DISCOMs of Madhya Pradesh.
- This project was also included in PM’s ‘A Book of Innovations: New Beginnings’.
- For its innovation and excellence, Rewa Solar Power Project has received the “World Bank Group President’s Award”.
National Solar Mission
The Jawaharlal Nehru National Solar Mission (JNNSM) or The National Solar Mission is an initiative of the Government of India and State Governments to promote solar energy in India. The objective of this mission is to establish India as a Global leader in solar energy.
The mission was inaugurated in January, 2010 and the revised target of this mission is 100 GW of solar power by 2022.
Important Solar Parks in the World
Ladakh Solar Park
It will become world’s largest solar Park after it started in operation.
Location: Ladakh, India
Capacity: 5000 MW
Bhadla Solar Park, Rajasthan
Bhadla Solar Park is world’s largest solar.
Location: Bhadla, Jodhpur, Rajasthan
Tengger Desert Solar Park, China
Location: Ningxia, China
Pavagada Solar Park, Karnataka
It is India’s second largest solar park.
Capacity: 2050 MW
Location: Tumakuru, Karnataka
Kurnool Solar Park, Andhra Pradesh
It is third largest solar park of India.
Location: Kurnool, AP
Datong Solar Power Project, China
Rewa Solar Park, Madhya Pradesh
Capacity: 750 MW
Location: Rewa, M.P.
Kamuthi Solar Park, Tamilnadu
Capacity: 688 MW
Location: Kamuthi, TN